Urge PM to let us decide
TONY Blair seems determined to force a new European Union treaty on us without holding a referendum, knowing it will lack public support, yet we have no idea what it contains. We are surely entitled to know the wording of this new so-called treaty and the
TONY Blair seems determined to force a new European Union treaty on us without holding a referendum, knowing it will lack public support, yet we have no idea what it contains.
We are surely entitled to know the wording of this new so-called treaty and the framework it is modelled on following the disastrous collapse of the previous draft constitution in 2005.
We should also remember how, in recent statements, the Prime Minister managed to contradict himself; on one hand advocating his desire to 'represent the people', then later saying he will not be holding discussions on this in public, but in secret. In what way is this in the publics' interest?
If Mr Blair's budget negotiation skills are anything to go by, we can only expect further considerable sacrifices to be made by the UK to the benefit of our European counterparts. The proposed loss of our rebate worth £3billion is an example of this.
You may also want to watch:
I agree that reform is needed, but with the focus on good governance, less regulation and greater inter-governmental co-operation. By disregarding the democratic rights of the British people, in pursuit of his own political agenda, Mr Blair is doing nothing to reduce the ever-growing public apathy towards politics.
The Government must hold discussions in public to allow voters to make up their minds on the future of the UK in Europe.
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Car blaze was arson say fire chiefs
- 3 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 4 Man arrested after suspected drink or drug-fuelled A141 crash
- 5 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 6 Zero hygiene rating for East Cambs take-away
- 7 Ledger discovery affords a glimpse of Victorian travel
- 8 The Great British Sunday is a rush to the pumps not the piers
- 9 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 10 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
I strongly urge people to write to the Prime Minister and call for a referendum to be held on this treaty. If other countries decide they will allow their citizens to vote on it, how can Mr Blair justify denying this opportunity to British people?
ROBERT STURDY MEP
St Neots Road