Used fireworks blamed for blaze that broke out in buildings at Prickwillow near Ely
- Credit: Archant
A box of used fireworks caused a blaze to break out in Prickwillow, today.
Firefighters from Littleport and Ely were called to a building fire in Branch Bank, at 12.21am.
A fire had broken out involving two large storage containers.
Crews set up a water shuttle and used jets and hose reels to extinguish it by 2.48am.
Crews returned to their stations by 3.45am.
You may also want to watch:
The cause of the fire was accidental, believed to have started by used fireworks that had been left in a cardboard box next to the storage containers.
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “Bonfire might may be over, however, some families may still be planning to have firework celebrations in their gardens at the weekend.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
“This incident is an example of how fireworks can remain hot and still cause fires even after they’ve been used, which is why it is extremely important that when the public use fireworks, they read the instructions on the box and take safety measures.”