Vandals hack down a tree in Whittlesey
- Credit: Archant
A Whittlesey councillor is furious that “mindless vandals” have hacked down a tree in the park behind the Manor Leisure Centre.
Kay Mayor said it looked like someone had taken an axe to the Mountain Ash in a tree attack that she said made no sense.
The tree was found hacked down by her daughter in law as she walked her dog today (Thursday November 21).
Councillor Mayor said: “Why would someone do that, I just don’t understand.
“It certainly hasn’t been done with a penknife, so how exactly has it been done and why?”
She said the Whittlesey In Bloom and Street Pride teams had put great effort into enhancing the area in recent months.
A programme of Spring bulb planting had just been undertaken to ensure the park came into bloom looking beautiful in the warmer weather of 2014.
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Missing woman back home
- 3 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 4 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 5 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 6 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 7 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 8 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 9 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 10 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
“We have taken pride in enhancing that area. It just feels very sad that someone would want to do this,” she said.
The incident has been reported to the Open Space team at Fenland District Council and also to Cambridgeshire Police.