Vandals hack down a tree in Whittlesey
- Credit: Archant
A Whittlesey councillor is furious that “mindless vandals” have hacked down a tree in the park behind the Manor Leisure Centre.
Kay Mayor said it looked like someone had taken an axe to the Mountain Ash in a tree attack that she said made no sense.
The tree was found hacked down by her daughter in law as she walked her dog today (Thursday November 21).
Councillor Mayor said: “Why would someone do that, I just don’t understand.
“It certainly hasn’t been done with a penknife, so how exactly has it been done and why?”
You may also want to watch:
She said the Whittlesey In Bloom and Street Pride teams had put great effort into enhancing the area in recent months.
A programme of Spring bulb planting had just been undertaken to ensure the park came into bloom looking beautiful in the warmer weather of 2014.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
“We have taken pride in enhancing that area. It just feels very sad that someone would want to do this,” she said.
The incident has been reported to the Open Space team at Fenland District Council and also to Cambridgeshire Police.