VIDEO: Anglian Water gives out advice on how Cambridgeshire homes can stay warm during cold snap
- Credit: Archant
With a cold snap expected to bite and keep temperatures at close to zero for the next few days, homeowners and landlords are being urged to take steps to keep their homes warm.
Anglian Water has produced a couple of videos to help customers make sure they’re prepared whatever the weather.
Their advice is to insulate pipes and water tanks, stop draughts, check outdoor taps and disconnect hoses, fix any dripping taps and leave the heating on low when you are out or away.
If you have a burst or a leak in your home, a plumber is the best person to call. Find your stop tap, turn it off and then phone your plumber.
Antony Innes, from Anglian Water, said: “Most water pipes are buried deep enough to avoid the affects of freezing, but when cold weather strikes we do see the number of frozen pipes increase.
You may also want to watch:
“Unfortunately for homeowners and landlords these pipes tend to be those which they are responsible for – the sections of pipe that fall within their property boundary and within the house.
“The most vulnerable pipes are the exposed sections of pipe above ground – often attached to external walls – or those in homes.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
“But by following some very simple steps customers can make sure their home is protected from costly frozen or burst pipes.
“Anglian Water is also making sure its army of 250 leakage technicians are ready to battle the elements and ensure customers’ supplies keep flowing by finding and fixing any leaks or burst pipes, which are often caused by the ground around them freezing, as quickly as possible.”
Customers who spot a leak or burst should call 0800 771 881
More information on how to be ready for the winter is available at www.facebook.com/anglianwater or www.anglianwater.co.uk.