VIDEO: Drivers urged to be sensible when driving through roadworks as reckless driving putting workers at risk
- Credit: Archant
Footage released today shows the risk faced by people working to improve or maintain England’s motorways and major roads.
The video clips feature two examples of workers narrowly escaping serious injury when inattentive drivers ignore signs on the road and do not slow down.
The footage has been produced as new figures show that last year saw the highest number of serious injuries among incident response teams since 2007, with 10 road workers suffering major injuries.
Roads minister John Hayes said: “The safety of those who work around the clock to carry out vital improvements and keep drivers moving after incidents is absolutely paramount.
“It is not worth putting road workers’ lives at risk, let alone the tragic impact on their lives and those of their families, simply to shave a few seconds off your journey.”
You may also want to watch:
The Highways Agency’s advice for driving safely at roadworks is to keep within the speed limit, get into the correct lane in good time, concentrate on the road ahead, be alert for works traffic leaving or entering roadworks, keep a safe distance and observe all signs.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 8 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire