VIDEO: Petition calling for improved rail links between March and Cambridge receives widespread support
- Credit: Archant
MORE than 700 people have signed a petition calling for better evening rail links from March to Cambridge.
The petition, which demands improved train services and extended operating hours at weekends, was distributed throughout schools, community groups and shops.
It was formally presented by MP Steve Barclay to parliament on Tuesday.
The last direct weekend service to March leaves Cambridge at 9pm, making it difficult for March residents to go out in Cambridge and make it home that night.
Mr Barclay has requested the suggested improvements to services feature in the Greater Anglia rail franchise scheduled for 2016.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I am delighted to present this petition to parliament. It is a great example of the community coming together to call for better transport links which would greatly benefit local residents by allowing them to enjoy an evening out in Cambridge.
“It is important that residents’ access to cultural and leisure opportunities in Cambridge is not restricted by inconvenient train services. I will be pushing for the petition to be included in the plans for the franchise agreement which is up for renewal in 2016.”
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 7 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache