Video released by Cambridgeshire police following discovery of human bones as they make arrest in connection with ‘cold case’ inquiry
- Credit: Archant
A man has been arrested after pieces of bone were discovered during a search carried out as part of the investigation into the murder of Andrew Bedford nearly 25 years ago.
The bones were discovered by scenes of crime officers, forensic scientists and detectives during the 13-day search, which began on land off Stocking Fen Road in April.
Experts have confirmed the bones are consistent with being human.
A cold case called Operation Ongar was re-launched on April 10 by the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit to re-investigate the death of Mr Bedford, who was last seen on Friday, September 28, 1990, at Factory Bank, off Great Whyte, Ramsey.
This morning and linked to the discovery of the bones, a 64 year-old man from Ramsey was also arrested at his home on suspicion of conspiracy to murder and has been taken to a Cambridgeshire police station.
You may also want to watch:
DCI Martin Brunning, who is leading the murder inquiry, said: “The bones were discovered during a painstaking search of the area we had identified as being of interest.”
“An expert in forensic anthropology has assisted the investigation and the bones will now subject to DNA testing and much more intrusive forensic analysis. Forensic processes have evolved significantly in the last 25 years.”
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
DCI Brunning said the re-launch of the investigation in April had already received an encouraging response from the public but the answers the inquiry was seeking still lie within the local community.
He said: “I want to bring anyone involved in Andrew’s death to justice and provide critical closure for his family, who have always desperately hoped for his return. Unsolved murder cases are never closed and we will leave no stone unturned. “I am confident that local people have the additional information we need to provide Andrew’s family with the resolution they so rightly deserve, so I would urge anyone who thinks they can help us to come forward.
“This is your opportunity to make a difference to so many people affected by Andrew’s disappearance.
“All information given to us will be dealt with sensitively and, alternatively, people can contact Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.”
Mr Bedford, 27, was last seen in a light blue Ford Cortina estate car eating some takeaway food, possibly fish and chips. Then of Tweed Street, Huntingdon, he was wearing overalls, a khaki jumper, jeans and trainers and was described as 5’8”, of medium build, with mousey blond, curly, shoulder-length hair and various tattoos.
He was reported missing by his girlfriend on Saturday, September 29, 1990 after failing to return home as planned. Detectives believe he was killed on the Friday evening and he had been seen by a number of people in the town until the early evening.
Anyone with information should contact the Major Crime Unit on 01480 422791, email email@example.com, or call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.