VIDEO: Row, row, row your raft, Gently down the stream, Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
- Credit: Archant
WANT to take part in the ever popular raft race at Ely Aquafest but have so far failed to build a craft? Then get along to the riverside on the day of the event and build a raft on the riverside before the big event.
Mepal Outdoor Centre will supply the parts - so would-be raft racers just need to get along to Lavender Green on July 7 in time to build a vessel in time for the race at 2.30pm.
Eric Grant, soon to be president of Ely Rotary Club, said: “It’s great fun to build something that you don’t know whether it will sink or float.
“No previous experience is necessary.
“Teams of four friends are an ideal combination, but singles or doubles can be joined together to make up a team on the spur of the moment.”
You may also want to watch:
As well as the raft race, there will be plenty of other activities to keep families busy at Aquafest.
The event is based around Jubilee Gardens and Lavender Green.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
- 10 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
Children’s races take place at 12.45pm in Jubilee Gardens and 3.45pm at Lavender Green, and youngsters are welcome to enter at the arena on the day.
Eric added: “Another event that people can join in is the Atrium Club aerobics session.
“It is open for all. Just turn up on the day and you can be included.
“It looks as though this Aquafest will be one to remember. The Rotary Clubs of Ely annually provide this fun day, please come along and enjoy the fun.”
Pop into the Ely Standard office for a free programme guide or see this week’s paper for event details.