VIDEO: Volunteers space hop around West End Park for March pub’s Comic Relief Bounceathon
- Credit: Archant
A MARCH pub is challenging the people of the town to space hop for one mile to raise money for Comic Relief.
Georges, in March, kicked off their Bounceathon in West End Park on Saturday and they will be holding races on the final two Sundays of this month.
People of all ages have already had a go on the spacehoppers and the pub is encouraging more teams to take on the challenge.
The world record for the one-mile space hop is 13 minutes but Georges staff member Laurie Lott said it has yet to be threatened,
She said: “No one has even got close to the record. You would have to be Mo Farah to be anywhere near it.
You may also want to watch:
“It has got very competitive. At the beginning people were being supportive and cheering eachother but once they started racing they were all trying to overtake one another.
“It’s been nice to do the race in the park and quite funny to watch three giant blobs making their way around it.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
Nigel Marsh, landlord of Georges, came up with the space hop idea as he thinks it’s important to try and link fund-raising efforts with being fit and healthy and getting out and about in the community.
The sponsored space hop follows on from the 48-hour nonstop exercise bike ride the pub did for Children In Need last November which raised £1,300.
The Bounceathon has so far raised more than £300 for Comic Relief and it is hoped the final sum will be £1,500.
Bounceathon events will take place at 10am, 12noon, 2pm and 4pm on Sunday March 24 and Sunday March 31.
For more information about the campaign go to www.georges-march.co.uk.