VIDEO: Who killed Rikki? Mother of murdered six-year-old calls for police to reopen case
- Credit: Archant
Nearly two decades on from what was one of the most harrowing murders in this region’s recent history the fact of the matter is that no-one has ever been convicted over the death of an innocent schoolboy.
Six-year-old Rikki Neave’s body was discovered naked and spread-eagled in woodland off Eye Road, Peterborough, in 1994.
His mother Ruth Neave was convicted by a jury of child cruelty in 1996, but cleared of his murder.
Almost 20 years on she has today broken a long silence in a bid to urge Cambridgeshire Police to reopen the case and find his killer.
She said: “I am treated as a murderer and it has to stop. I want someone to takes me seriously and help me to catch those who did murder my son. I am not going away until I get justice for Rikki.”
You may also want to watch:
Rikki was reported missing on November 28, 1994, sparking a huge search by police and members of the public.
He was found dead the following day just 500 yards from his home in Welland after being strangled with a ligature.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
His mother, who was married to criminal and drug abuser Dean Neave at the time, was charged with Rikki’s murder six months later, but unanimously cleared of murder by a jury. She was jailed for seven years after the court heard a catalogue of allegations of child cruelty.
• We accompany Ruth Neave back to Peterborough for the first time in 20 years to where son Rikki was murdered