Virgin Media brings faster fibre optic broadband to March, Chatteris, Wimblington and Doddington
- Credit: Archant
Virgin Media plans to expand its fibre optic network to 19,000 homes and businesses in the area as part of its pledge to bring better connectivity and top-notch TV to 17 million premises by the end of 2019.
Work has already begun in the March area, and will also extend to Wimblington and Doddington and Chatteris, with completion expected by spring 2017.
Those who wish to take Virgin Media’s services will be connected with fibre broadband run directly to their premise offering ultrafast, future-proof connectivity with download speeds of up to 200Mbps for local residents, and 300Mbps for local businesses and home workers.
Local residents can also benefit from the latest entertainment with up to 260 TV channels (including 66 HD channels) plus Sky Sports, Sky Movies, BT Sport and Netflix, as well as an extensive TV on demand library of TV box sets and movies. Plus, access to brand new TV shows such as Ash vs Evil Dead, Kingdom and Magic City – exclusive to Virgin Media TV customers.
Local MP Steve Barclay said: “I welcome the news that by spring 2017 March, Wimblington, Doddington and Chatteris will have access to ultrafast broadband. Those living in rural areas often miss out on opportunities to grow their businesses and learn new skills due to poor Internet connectivity; investments like this are a game changer for rural economies like ours.”
Councillor Steve Count, leader of Cambridgeshire County Council, who represents March North ward, said: “It’s great news that superfast broadband is on the way to thousands more homes and businesses in March and surrounding areas through Virgin Media’s investment in Project Lightning, which complements our Connecting Cambridgeshire broadband programme.
“Good connectivity is vital to support a strong economy; it means that businesses can grow and create jobs, people living in rural communities don’t miss out, and we can deliver council services in new ways.”
- 1 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 2 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 3 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 4 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 5 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 6 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 7 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
- 8 Drought officially declared in East Anglian region
- 9 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 10 Farmer ‘feeling low’ due to increasingly difficult working conditions
As network expansion continues across the country, Virgin Media calls for more people to register interest at: www.virginmedia.com/cablemystreet