VOICE OF THE FENS: Time for Fenland Council’s opposition to clip wings of Tory-led excesses
COUNCIL leader Alan Melton was unimpressed with our decision to return this week to the matter of councillors’ allowances and specifically to the mileage rates they receive.
Be that as it may, the plethora of paperwork from Fenland and other public bodies can mean that sometimes decisions get lost in transmission. This one certainly did.
If you recall back in February, Cllr Melton adopted an ‘on your bike’ attitude to some of his members pressing for the mileage rate to be upped from 40p to 45p. He believed then, quite rightly, that 40p was sufficient recompense and told them so in no uncertain terms.
But guess what? Nine months later and with an election comfortably behind him, and many councillors prospecting for even more public duties to be thrust upon them – together with attendant allowances and perks – up goes mileage from 40p to 45p.
And to cap the insult to voters’ intelligence, the council had the temerity to backdate that generous increase to May.
You may also want to watch:
The breathtaking cheek of it.
The mind-boggling arrogance of it.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
The commonsense-defying illogic of it.
It is time the independents and opposition members of Fenland Council started to clip the wings of these Tory-led excesses.
The Indies, hopefully, will have started yesterday by forcing a postponement of the monstrous �465,000 refurbishment of public loos – a review carried out furtively and hastily.