Warning issued on dangers of hair straighteners after Whittlesey caravan blaze

FIREFIGHTERS have today issued a warning about the dangers of hair straighteners after two caravans were engulfed in flames during a Whittlesey blaze on Friday.

Inspectors thought the fire, which happened at around 6.20pm in Eastrea Road, was caused by a pair of hair straighteners which had been left on in a mobile home.

Three fire crews battled the blaze for around two hours after it spread to the decking area of an adjacent bungalow and reached another caravan.

A fire service spokesman said: “Hair straighteners are easily hot enough to start a fire which can spread very quickly.

“Make sure you get into the habit of switching off your straighteners at the wall when you finish using them.”


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter