Waterlees adventure playground nominated for national award
- Credit: Archant
THE team who run the adventure playground at Waterlees in Wisbech has been shortlisted for a national award.
They are in the running to be Playwork Team of the Year at this year’s National Playwork Conference, which takes place in Eastbourne next week.
The playground, which was opened in 2010, attracted 12,000 visitors last year.
Lead playworker Reuben Francis said: “We are delighted to have been shortlisted for the award. It’s great that the hard work and dedication of the team has been recognised.
“Our playworkers have a philosophy of never giving up on anybody, and our consistent approach has led to huge progress being made.
“We have been able to build strong relationships with some of the hardest to reach young people in the area.”
Councillor Samantha Hoy, Cambridgeshire County Councillor for Wisbech North added: “I have always been proud of the playground and what it has achieved in the Waterlees area, so I am delighted that the playwork team have been recognised in this way.
- 1 56-bed care home backers revise access proposals
- 2 Council to spend a penny or two from £8.4m 'pot' on new loos
- 3 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 4 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 5 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 6 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 7 Knife attack man hid over £3,500 of drugs at mum's home
- 8 Footballer, Harry, hoping for future in professional football
- 9 Depleted villagers battle on in courageous defeat
- 10 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
“The playground has been an unqualified success for the area – and that success is largely down to the excellent team who run it.”