We’ll restore The Acre to its former glory, say pub’s new landlords
NEW landlords have taken over at The Acre with a promise to put the pub back where it belongs.
Ross and Ann Hughes say they want to take the Acre Road, March, venue back to being a “broad-based, community pub” after years of difficulty following several changes in management and tough economic circumstances.
The pub has struggled in recent years due to the recession and a new Wetherspoon’s opening in March, yet is still renowned for once being one of the best places to drink in the town.
“People have told us that it has been a thriving pub,” Mr Hughes said.
“The opportunity came along and we thought it was a great location but was in need of some direction. We thought it would be a good challenge.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Hughes added: “We wanted to have one more go at running a pub and thought this would be great opportunity. We fell in love with it as soon as we saw it.”
Since the pair took over four weeks ago the pub has undergone some extensive refurbishment, with the kitchen renovated so Mr and Mrs Hughes can provide reasonably priced traditional pub food.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
Its menu is being launched this weekend (Saturday, October 27), with an offer of 25 per cent off.
Work has also been done to repair the cellar and The Acre is looking to widen its range of wines and ales.
The pub lost its status as a pool league venue just before Mr and Mrs Hughes arrived but hopes to hold pool nights to attract players back to the venue.
Mr Hughes said: “It is incredibly difficult for all pubs at the moment, especially when we are competing with drink prices in Wetherspoon’s. However we hope we can offer people a better experience.”
CONTACT: The Acre on 01354 656735.