Minus 10 in the Fens - but ice isn’t nice for skating just yet
- Credit: Archant
TEMPERATURES dipped well below freezing in the low-lying Fens last night - but skaters are warning people not to take to the ice.
Despite the cold snap, the ice still isn’t thick enough to skate on, Fenland Ice Skating said today.
And while plunging temperatures will see washlands and rivers freezing, it’s warning high water levels underneath mean treacherous conditions.
Today, it said: “Frost at 8am very minimal ice on Welney Wash water rose a few inches and covered the thin ice. If the frosty weather contiues for a few days there may be a chance to skate.
“Danger on Welney Wash and other Fenland venues will be high due to deeper water than usual making it visually difficult to establish where shallow fields end, and rivers and ditches start.”
You may also want to watch:
Experienced skaters say anyone thinking of trying the sport should watch where the locals skate and never take to the ice alone.
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 3 Students dare to dream of England Lionesses spot after trial success
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 5 Man killed in Estover Road motorbike crash named by police
- 6 Man jailed for abusive rampage against ex-partner
- 7 Tesco staff self-isolate after being ‘pinged’ by track and trace
- 8 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 9 March lorry and cyclist collision: Eye-witness saw ‘boy laid in the road’
- 10 Live updates as cyclist is ‘hit by lorry’ near March secondary school