Minus 10 in the Fens - but ice isn’t nice for skating just yet
- Credit: Archant
TEMPERATURES dipped well below freezing in the low-lying Fens last night - but skaters are warning people not to take to the ice.
Despite the cold snap, the ice still isn’t thick enough to skate on, Fenland Ice Skating said today.
And while plunging temperatures will see washlands and rivers freezing, it’s warning high water levels underneath mean treacherous conditions.
Today, it said: “Frost at 8am very minimal ice on Welney Wash water rose a few inches and covered the thin ice. If the frosty weather contiues for a few days there may be a chance to skate.
“Danger on Welney Wash and other Fenland venues will be high due to deeper water than usual making it visually difficult to establish where shallow fields end, and rivers and ditches start.”
You may also want to watch:
Experienced skaters say anyone thinking of trying the sport should watch where the locals skate and never take to the ice alone.
- 1 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 2 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 3 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 4 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 7 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 10 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road