Road closure after wintry weather delays work on key route for Fenland commuters
WORK on the A1122 west of Downham Market - a key route for Fenland commuters - has been seriously hampered by the recent wintry weather.
The freezing conditions mean the road closure and diversion routes remain in place, but should be lifted by tomorrow (Tues).
The work, which involves breaking up and recycling the foundation of the road, cannot go ahead in low temperatures.
The first phase of work is scheduled to finish tomorrow but a second phase has been postponed until January 10, allowing the road to reopen over the Christmas period. Instead, repair work will be carried out on Barroway Drove and Lady Drove.
Once underway, the second phase of work will require eight full days of suitable weather to complete.
You may also want to watch:
Norfolk County Council apologises for the delays in completing this project, which have been caused by the unusually cold weather and are beyond the control of the council or its contractors.
- 1 Homes evacuated as FOUR gas leaks disrupt March
- 2 White van driver sought after Passat overturns
- 3 Hooded man exposes himself to two women
- 4 Club shuts its doors after illegal encampment spotted
- 5 All roads reopened after gas leaks cause day of disruption
- 6 20 travelling families park illegally at rugby club
- 7 30 firefighters tackle A14 lorry blaze
- 8 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 9 Glamping site granted drinks licence despite neighbours' protests
- 10 Best is yet to come for March Town after successive league defeats