Road closure after wintry weather delays work on key route for Fenland commuters
WORK on the A1122 west of Downham Market - a key route for Fenland commuters - has been seriously hampered by the recent wintry weather.
The freezing conditions mean the road closure and diversion routes remain in place, but should be lifted by tomorrow (Tues).
The work, which involves breaking up and recycling the foundation of the road, cannot go ahead in low temperatures.
The first phase of work is scheduled to finish tomorrow but a second phase has been postponed until January 10, allowing the road to reopen over the Christmas period. Instead, repair work will be carried out on Barroway Drove and Lady Drove.
Once underway, the second phase of work will require eight full days of suitable weather to complete.
You may also want to watch:
Norfolk County Council apologises for the delays in completing this project, which have been caused by the unusually cold weather and are beyond the control of the council or its contractors.
- 1 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 2 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 5 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 6 Alcohol licence objections over noise and disturbance concerns
- 7 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
- 8 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 9 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 10 Dad of two killed on Fen road