Road closure after wintry weather delays work on key route for Fenland commuters
WORK on the A1122 west of Downham Market - a key route for Fenland commuters - has been seriously hampered by the recent wintry weather.
The freezing conditions mean the road closure and diversion routes remain in place, but should be lifted by tomorrow (Tues).
The work, which involves breaking up and recycling the foundation of the road, cannot go ahead in low temperatures.
The first phase of work is scheduled to finish tomorrow but a second phase has been postponed until January 10, allowing the road to reopen over the Christmas period. Instead, repair work will be carried out on Barroway Drove and Lady Drove.
Once underway, the second phase of work will require eight full days of suitable weather to complete.
You may also want to watch:
Norfolk County Council apologises for the delays in completing this project, which have been caused by the unusually cold weather and are beyond the control of the council or its contractors.
- 1 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 2 Man who died in road crash is named
- 3 Reporter shares mid-treatment stages of teeth transformation
- 4 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 5 Wright hopes overseas ace's return boosts March Town play-off hopes
- 6 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 7 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 8 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 9 DJ, 11, branded 'an inspiration' after winning top award
- 10 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site