Weekend opening of North Cambs Minor Injuries Unit easing burden on A & E Departments
- Credit: Archant
A minor injuries unit at a Fenland hospital has treated 153 people in four weekends since it started opening seven days a week for a trial.
The move has eased the burden on the A & E Departments at King’s Lynn and Peterborough, with 95 per cent of patients treated at the Minor Injuries Unit at North Cambs Hospital, Wisbech, avoiding a hospital A & E visit.
The unit, which is run by the Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust, will remain on Saturdays and Sundays until March 30.
Mike Passfield, head of nursing, Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust, said: “Although people should still go to A&E for life threatening emergencies, by opening the Minor Injuries Unit at weekends we are offering local people with a minor injury an alternative to A & E.
“The need for the service has been demonstrated by the high number of patients we’ve already treated at weekends, most of whom didn’t need to go to hospital.”
The Minor Injuries Unit is open 8.30am to 6pm on Saturday and Sunday. Patients who need x-rays at weekends will be referred to Doddington Hospital where appropriate (there is a transport service from Wisbech to Doddington provided by the ambulance service).
The unit operates a walk-in service, no appointment is necessary. The expanded opening times are in addition to its usual opening times from Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 6pm.
- 1 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 2 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 3 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 4 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 7 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 8 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 9 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 10 ‘It’s been a very special day’ - Mary marks 100th birthday