Weekend opening of North Cambs Minor Injuries Unit easing burden on A & E Departments
- Credit: Archant
A minor injuries unit at a Fenland hospital has treated 153 people in four weekends since it started opening seven days a week for a trial.
The move has eased the burden on the A & E Departments at King’s Lynn and Peterborough, with 95 per cent of patients treated at the Minor Injuries Unit at North Cambs Hospital, Wisbech, avoiding a hospital A & E visit.
The unit, which is run by the Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust, will remain on Saturdays and Sundays until March 30.
Mike Passfield, head of nursing, Cambridgeshire Community Services NHS Trust, said: “Although people should still go to A&E for life threatening emergencies, by opening the Minor Injuries Unit at weekends we are offering local people with a minor injury an alternative to A & E.
“The need for the service has been demonstrated by the high number of patients we’ve already treated at weekends, most of whom didn’t need to go to hospital.”
You may also want to watch:
The Minor Injuries Unit is open 8.30am to 6pm on Saturday and Sunday. Patients who need x-rays at weekends will be referred to Doddington Hospital where appropriate (there is a transport service from Wisbech to Doddington provided by the ambulance service).
The unit operates a walk-in service, no appointment is necessary. The expanded opening times are in addition to its usual opening times from Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 6pm.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder