Welney makes it to the short list of attractions to find the UK’s best nature reserve
- Credit: Archant
Welney is to go head to head with Aberdeenshire and Perthshire in the battle to find Britain’s best nature reserve.
The Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust reserve on the Cambridgeshire/Norfolk border has been shortlisted with two others from Scotland to find the UK’s top reserve.
Forvie NNR Visitor Centre at Ellon, Aberdeenshire, the RSPB reserve at Loch Leven, Kinross, Perthshire and Welney have been shortlisted for a Green Tourism Goldstar.
In total 2,400 entries were whittled down to 60 of the most UK’s most sustainable businesses for the 13 categories.
Hotels, guest houses, tour operators, conference and event venues and best visitor attractions are among the categories to be awarded honours at the Green Tourism annual conference in November.
You may also want to watch:
Green Tourism was launched 17 years ago and is now is the biggest of its kind in the world having helped nearly 10,000 businesses improve their commitment to sustainability.
Andrea Nicholas, Director of Green Tourism, said: “The Goldstar Awards are recognition of the best of the best in Britain when it comes to creating and maintaining a thriving sustainable tourism industry.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder