Wheat bag - used by Fenland woman to relieve flu-like symptoms - starts fire in bedroom
A WHEAT bag being used by a Fenland woman to relieve her flu-like symptoms set fire to her bedroom.
Firefighters have now issued a warning about the dangers of overheating the bags, which are a homeopathic remedy for pain relief.
The fire occurred at 4.10pm yesterday in a house in New Road, Whittlesey.
A woman, who was suffering with flu-like symptoms, had placed two wheat bags in the microwave and had carried them up to bed.
She woke to find the bedroom full of smoke and was able to escape after putting the wheat bags in the waste bin and then in the sink. She then dialled 999.
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters from Whittlesey and Stanground attended and discovered the first floor of the property was heavily smoke logged. There was no fire, but there were scorch marks on the bed from the wheat bags.
Crews ventilated the property and returned to their fire stations by 5.20pm.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 4 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 5 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 6 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 7 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 8 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 9 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council
- 10 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
Martin Boome, station manager for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “When firefighters looked at the bags they were no instructions of labels on them.
“The woman said she was unsure how long they had been in the microwave as she had been confused due to feeling unwell.
“This is a serious issue, earlier this year a woman died in Manchester after her wheat bag overheated. Another woman died in Leeds in 2008, when the same thing happened.
“I would like to warn other residents about the dangers of overheating wheat bags.”