Whittlesey author releases sci-fi political thriller Mindful which he says has hint of House of Cards
- Credit: Archant
A Whittlesey-based author has written a science-fiction political thriller.
Alex J Geairns, who is known as alex:g, held a book launch for Mindful at Waterstone’s in Peterborough.
Dozens of people were on hand to listen to the author, who presented and produced current affair show On The Edge on Sky, explain the inspirations behind the book.
He said: “In the book, a new political party has come to power, out of nowhere, and has made enemies of the rich and powerful.
“Ray Grady, a former talk show presenter, is set to lead this new force to the House of Commons and stop the nation descending into anarchy.
You may also want to watch:
“There’s just one minor complication… Ray has just been assassinated, and all hell is about to break loose if the public finds out.”
There are similarities between Mindful and the popular TV series House of Cards, the author says.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
He added: “If I was given a few seconds to pitch Mindful to a Hollywood producer in a lift, I’d say it’s House of Cards meets Fantastic Voyage with a hint of Ghost.
“We are at a crucial time in British politics, and trust in all the political parties is at an all-time low.
“Mindful considers the circumstances necessary for a new party to come to power.
“And then, what would those with a lot to lose do; those pulling the strings that no longer delight in the lobbying power they have in the current system?
“What would they make happen to try and reset things back to how they want them – in other words, how they were?
“And that’s all before the story heads off into the realms of science fiction in order to keep our chief protagonist alive.”
Copies of the book, which costs £18.99, are available from the store, or via www.mindfulnovel.com