Whittlesey author releases sci-fi political thriller Mindful which he says has hint of House of Cards
- Credit: Archant
A Whittlesey-based author has written a science-fiction political thriller.
Alex J Geairns, who is known as alex:g, held a book launch for Mindful at Waterstone’s in Peterborough.
Dozens of people were on hand to listen to the author, who presented and produced current affair show On The Edge on Sky, explain the inspirations behind the book.
He said: “In the book, a new political party has come to power, out of nowhere, and has made enemies of the rich and powerful.
“Ray Grady, a former talk show presenter, is set to lead this new force to the House of Commons and stop the nation descending into anarchy.
“There’s just one minor complication… Ray has just been assassinated, and all hell is about to break loose if the public finds out.”
There are similarities between Mindful and the popular TV series House of Cards, the author says.
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 3 Old Bailey trial begins of Rikki Neave murder suspect
- 4 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 5 Woman summonsed in connection with crash that killed five-month-old Louis Thorold
- 6 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 7 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 8 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 9 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
- 10 'Our inspiration' - Baby born four months early survives fight for life
He added: “If I was given a few seconds to pitch Mindful to a Hollywood producer in a lift, I’d say it’s House of Cards meets Fantastic Voyage with a hint of Ghost.
“We are at a crucial time in British politics, and trust in all the political parties is at an all-time low.
“Mindful considers the circumstances necessary for a new party to come to power.
“And then, what would those with a lot to lose do; those pulling the strings that no longer delight in the lobbying power they have in the current system?
“What would they make happen to try and reset things back to how they want them – in other words, how they were?
“And that’s all before the story heads off into the realms of science fiction in order to keep our chief protagonist alive.”
Copies of the book, which costs £18.99, are available from the store, or via www.mindfulnovel.com