Whittlesey daredevil’s sponsored parachute jump raises £1,400 for Scaldgate Club
- Credit: Archant
A daredevil transport planner flung herself out of a plane to raise £1,400 for charity.
Melissa Kenneley, 21, of Whittlesey, did the sponsored parachute jump at Chatteris Airfield in aid of the Scaldgate Club, a group based in Whittlesey for adults with learning difficulties.
She decided to do the jump after speaking to her godmother Pam Potts, who is the charity’s chairman.
Miss Kenneley said: “I had never done anything like it before, but I’m adventurous so I was not nervous.
“Free falling was amazing, although all the spinning around made me feel sick afterwards.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m surprised at how much was raised. The people of Whittlesey, especially those aware of the charity’s work, were so generous.
“I’m glad I could help the charity. It’s a shame they don’t get more support. Hopefully the money means they will be able to do more days out.”
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 10 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
The money will help the charity pay for taxis to get the 11 members to and from home to the club, where they meet weekly to do arts and crafts, cooking and other activities.
Laura Smyth, support worker, said: “Melissa’s efforts will make a massive difference. Our biggest expenditure is taxiing the members too and from home because they would not otherwise be able to attend.
“The current economic circumstances are not great so this will help us to keep providing that service.”
The club is not resting on its laurels - they have organised a race night at Childers, Whittlesey, on Saturday and a bag pack is planned at a supermarket next month.
The Scaldgate Club, for adults aged 19 or above, meets on a Thursday at Whittlesey Youth and Community Centre from 7-9pm. For more information e-mail email@example.com