Whittlesey residents to have more say on housing developments after town’s neighbourhood area application approved
- Credit: Archant
Residents in Whittlesey are set to have a greater say over housing developments in their parish.
Whittlesey Town Council’s application to become a neighbourhood area was approved by Fenland District Council’s planning committee last week.
It means, under the Localism Act (2011), the parish council can now go ahead with preparing a neighbourhood development plan or neighbourhood development order.
A neighbourhood plan can establish general planning policies for the development and use of land in a neighbourhood, including where extra new homes and offices should be built and what they should look like.
Before it can be adopted by Fenland District Council, the plan must go through several formal stages, including a consultation. No plan can be adopted unless it passes a referendum.
You may also want to watch:
If a neighbourhood plan is adopted, it would be considered alongside Fenland District Council’s Local Plan as well as national planning policy when the district council is deciding planning applications within the Whittlesey Neighbourhood Area.
The Whittlesey Neighbourhood Area has not been designated as a business area.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 7 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
Full details of the designation and a map showing the boundary of the designated area are available at www.fenland.gov.uk/designations.
They can also be viewed at Fenland Hall business reception, the Whittlesey Community Hub and town council notice boards.
If you have any questions about the designation, e-mail FDC’s Neighbourhood Strategy team at email@example.com or call them on 01354 654321.