Whittlesey school boy Elliott is the best footgolfer of his age in the UK
- Credit: Archant
A Whittlesey school boy has become the number one footgolfer in the UK under 12’s category.
Elliott Hurrell, 11, has become the country’s shining light, finishing the season as the best in his age group.
He said: “I like the competitive nature of the sport, where precision shots are the key.
“It’s going to be harder next year to remain at the top, as so many new children are playing the sport.”
Elliott practices weekly at the Priory Golf Centre in Wimblington, where he finds the short course a good leveller between adults and children.
You may also want to watch:
His dad Ady said: “It all started back in May at Magnolia Park Golf Club, Oxfordshire and finished last Sunday at Milton Footgolf Centre, Cambridge, as the 10 tournament series came to a close.
“Elliott entered seven tournaments as far afield as Newton Abbott and York, finishing first on five occasions, with two second places, which accumulated enough points to claim the top spot from Roman Barton from Cambridge.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
Footgolf is the UK’s fastest growing sport, where players kick a football into a 21 inch hole in as few shots as possible.
It is played on a golf course using a size five football.
The object of the game is to get the ball into the hole using only your feet in the fewest number of shots possible.
The sport combines the best of football and golf and lies in players being able to strategically combine power and precision every time they play footgolf.