Whittlesey swimmer’s delight at Fenland Sports Stars of the Future success
A TEENAGE swimmer from Whittlesey has spoken of his delight after being named as the second winner in the Fenland Sports Stars of the Future campaign.
Nick Ilsley, who swims for Peterborough, has enjoyed a successful rise through the rankings and is now in the top 50 backstrokers in the country for his age group.
The 16-year-old - who also specialises in freestyle - has competed at county, regional and even national meets, in the relay.
As a winner in the Fenland Sports Stars of the Future campaign - run by Fenland District Council in conjunction with The Cambs Times/Wisbech Standard - Ilsley receives free use of all council-run leisure facilities.
The Sir Harry Smith Community College student said: “I train seven times a week in the pool. It can be hard, and with school as well it is very demanding, but I’ve got used to it.
You may also want to watch:
“Obviously it’s a massive boost to be able to use all the facilities for free. It should really help me improve. This year I made the regional finals for the first time and now I really want to kick on.”
Ilsley is the second swimmer to be rewarded in the campaign, which aims to help Fenland’s most talented youngsters develop their skills. Backstroke sensation Liam Knight, from Wisbech, was the first winner.
- 1 Bombshell result in village polls leaves 115 homes plan in doubt
- 2 Two mystery sinkholes appear across town during scorching weekend
- 3 Woman claims police officer ‘forced himself’ upon her
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Thunderstorms set to hit Cambs after hot intense weekend
- 6 Slimmer crowned 'greatest loser' after dropping four stone
- 7 Jail for man who broke partner’s nose and intimidated witness
- 8 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 9 New ditch to relieve flood issues 'more challenging than expected'
- 10 Van overturns after striking Ely’s infamous ‘most bashed bridge’
• There is still time to reward more talented sports prospects from across the Fens. Applicants must be aged 14-18 and should be affiliated to a professional club or have played at a regional or national level.
To apply fill in the entry form on the Fenland Sports Stars of the Future section of our website.