Whittlesey swimmer’s delight at Fenland Sports Stars of the Future success
A TEENAGE swimmer from Whittlesey has spoken of his delight after being named as the second winner in the Fenland Sports Stars of the Future campaign.
Nick Ilsley, who swims for Peterborough, has enjoyed a successful rise through the rankings and is now in the top 50 backstrokers in the country for his age group.
The 16-year-old - who also specialises in freestyle - has competed at county, regional and even national meets, in the relay.
As a winner in the Fenland Sports Stars of the Future campaign - run by Fenland District Council in conjunction with The Cambs Times/Wisbech Standard - Ilsley receives free use of all council-run leisure facilities.
The Sir Harry Smith Community College student said: “I train seven times a week in the pool. It can be hard, and with school as well it is very demanding, but I’ve got used to it.
“Obviously it’s a massive boost to be able to use all the facilities for free. It should really help me improve. This year I made the regional finals for the first time and now I really want to kick on.”
Ilsley is the second swimmer to be rewarded in the campaign, which aims to help Fenland’s most talented youngsters develop their skills. Backstroke sensation Liam Knight, from Wisbech, was the first winner.
- 1 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 2 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 3 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 4 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 5 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 6 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 7 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 8 'Wide range of people' will benefit from village homes, say developers
- 9 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 10 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
• There is still time to reward more talented sports prospects from across the Fens. Applicants must be aged 14-18 and should be affiliated to a professional club or have played at a regional or national level.
To apply fill in the entry form on the Fenland Sports Stars of the Future section of our website.