Whittlesey widow voted woman of the year after impressive weight loss
- Credit: Archant
A widow has been put forward by her friends to a regional slimming competition after shedding an impressive six stone.
Fiona Rippon, 60, of Whittlesey, who piled on the pounds when her husband died, has dropped from 17st to 11st in just 18 months.
In recognition of her efforts, she has been voted by her fellow members at the Whittlesey Slimming World group as their woman of the year, which means she will represent the group in the regional round of Slimming World’s national competition.
Mrs Rippon said: “I gained a lot of my weight through comfort eating but when my husband passed away I comfort ate more and knew I needed to do something about it.
“I tried lots of different diets but they usually left me feeling hungry and miserable. Slimming World is completely different.
You may also want to watch:
“I never have to go hungry and after losing 6st I’m the happiest I’ve been in years. I’ve been able to have the surgery I need for my hip and now enjoy dancing and walking, only things I ever dreamed of before.
“I never dreamt I could achieve so much. I’ve gone from a size 20 to a 10 and it’s made such a huge difference – it’s changed my life. I’ve got so much more energy and I can do things now that I couldn’t before.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
“My fitness has improved – I enjoy being active now rather than thinking of it as a chore. I love to walk. I feel like a winner already, so being voted the Tuesday 5.30pm group’s Woman of the Year 2014 is just the icing on the cake.”
Gemma Lee, who runs the Whittlesey Tuesday group, says: “I’m so proud of Fiona. Not only does she look fabulous, she’s improved her health and is bursting with energy.
“She’s a huge inspiration to everyone in our group and I hope she inspires other women in Whittlesey to change their lives in the same way.”
The Whittlesey Slimming World group is held every Tuesday at 9.30am, 11.30am, 5.30pm and 7.30pm at Childers, Station Road. To join or find out more call Gemma on 01733 350091/ 07456 864419 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org