Who stole this £3,000 lawnmower which has left 190 Chatteris Town Youth FC children unable to play football?
- Credit: Archant
Nearly 200 of Chatteris Town’s young footballers may no longer be able to play their favourite sport after the club’s lawnmower – which cost thousands of pounds – was stolen last week.
Dawn Webber, Chatteris Town Youth FC secretary, discovered the £3,000 item had been stolen on Friday.
“The beams had been moved in order to get it out of the ground and they seem to have broken the unit where it was being stored”, she said.
To make matters worse, the lawnmower was brought after several seasons of fundraising by the club’s children, who are aged between three and 15-years-old.
“It took the children two or three seasons to get all the money together,” Dawn said.
You may also want to watch:
“The kids held a race night, raffles and several other events to raise the funds for the lawnmower.
“But now, thanks to some nasty person, we’re at the point where we have no methods of cutting the grass.
- 1 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 2 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 3 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 4 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Environment Agency seize 52 illegal fishing devices from region’s rivers
- 7 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 8 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 9 Council chairman urges people to have Covid-19 vaccine when offered
- 10 Man sentenced for carrying knife after 'someone threatened'
“We’re basically back at square one”, she added.
The theft, which may leave Chatteris’s football teams unable to play football for some time, has been reported to the police, who have sent out a forensics team to investigate the crime.
Dawn said any help the club can get - donations or grass cutting - will really help the kids to continue playing football.