Why does Guyhirn roundabout need a multi million pound upgrade?
- Credit: Archant
Fenland councillors queried why Guyhirn roundabout has been earmarked for a multi million pound upgrade.
Members of the district council’s overview and scrutiny committee questioned why the roundabout had been awarded the upgrade as part of a major government investment in roads.
Councillor Kit Owen said: “I am sceptical as to why it is needed, as far as I can see there is not a lot wrong with Guyhirn roundabout. They say it is a pinch point but I’m not convinced.”
He suggested there were worse pinch points including Elme Hall roundabout at Wisbech which would benefit drivers far more if it were given an upgrade.
Councillor Simon King added: “I basically agree with Cllr Owen. Can I suggest that if everybody is in agreement that we write to highways expressing our serious concern at the amount of money being spent on Guyhirn unnecessarily . There are more important priorities in the Wisbech area.”
However, Portfolio holder Councillor Ralph Butcher said Guyhirn roundabout was a pinch point and the work was needed to help traffic congestion and he would not agree to Cllr King’s suggestion.
He agreed Elme Hall roundabout was also a pinch point and said Fenland council would continue to push for that to be improved.
- 1 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 2 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 3 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 4 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 5 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 6 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 7 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 8 'Wide range of people' will benefit from village homes, say developers
- 9 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
- 10 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens