WI Isle of Ely ladies mark centenary with garden party at Buckingham Palace
- Credit: Archant
The ladies of the Isle of Ely WI donned their finest hats and dresses today for a garden party at Buckingham Palace.
Forty-two members boarded a coach at Fenn Holidays in March and made the trip down to London to a garden party held to mark the centenary of the institute. The party was attended by the Duchess of Cornwall and the Countess of Wessex.
To mark the milestone, the WI have welcomed auctioneer Eric Knowles for a talk at Neale-Wade Academy, and on Thursday the ladies will head back to London for the WI’s annual general meeting at the Royal Albert Hall.
Isle of Ely WI chairman Val Ware said: “This week will be the absolute highlight, with the garden party and the annual general meeting at the Royal Albert Hall.
“As you can see, everyone is very excited. We will have a sing on the bus.” The Isle of Ely WI has 770 members, so only a lucky few, selected by secret ballot, were invited to the party.
You may also want to watch:
Member Ellen Stanley, before setting off for Buckingham Palace, said: “I’m very excited. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. I almost said no when I was told I was selected because I thought it was a joke!”
Anne Haines added: “It will be an experience. I’m looking forward to hearing the bands and looking at the garden.”
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 10 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover