‘Great news’ for Wicksteed Park after fundraiser to save theme park tops £120k
An online appeal to save Britain’s oldest theme park – popular with families in Cambridgeshire – has raised more than £120,000.
Donations have poured in from all over after it was announced that Wicksteed Park had entered administration and more than 100 jobs had been lost.
Backed by the Wicksteed Charitable Trust a small group of employees has formed a new company to try and safeguard the future of the park.
The news came amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and bosses say they fell into an “unprecedented and totally unforeseen set of circumstances”.
Today the park announced on social media that an online crowdfunding appeal had raised more than £120,000 and the park’s future is looking brighter.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman said: “Great news to start the day. Today’s fundraising total has topped the £120,000 mark and is now, including gift aid, £120,531.
“Rest assured, we are listening to your ideas and suggestions about things you would like to see open at the park and are working hard to see what is achievable and when.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
“Thanks to everyone for your continued support.”
Wicksteed Park in Kettering, Northamptonshire, was opened in 1921 and faced a bleak future as a result of the Covid-19 impact on the leisure industry.
To donate, visit: www.justgiving.com/wicksteedcharitabletrust