Wild whooper and bewick swan numbers up at Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust Welney in time for floodlit feeds
SWAN and duck numbers at Welney have increased in time for the floodlit feeds that start next week.
Up to 9,000 of wild whooper and bewick swans will use the reserve at the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (WWT) at Welney over the winter, and at the moment they are concentrated in front of the hides, giving spectators an intense sight.
Next Thursday sees the beginning of the floodlit feeds, which will run each week from Thursdays to Saturdays at 6.30pm, where visitors can see the swans return from the day feeding of harvest waste products.
The number of pochards is also up, which will be able to be seen diving in and around the swans at feeding time. There are around 1,800 wigeon, and other wildfowl including pintail, teal, shoveler, and gadwall, which can be seen on the main lagoon.
Leigh Marshall, Reserve Manager, said: “The reserve is looking fantastic at the moment, thanks to the hard work that our staff and volunteers have put in over the summer months to manage these incredible wetlands.
You may also want to watch:
“We are also very grateful to the local farmers who support us with donations of potatoes and grains as well as our local branch of Ernest Doe for donating a wheelbarrow from this seasons swan feeds.”
This winter is the WWT Welney’s 40th, and next week they are celebrating with displays and talks about the centre, and are giving out cake to every visitor who goes this week to help them mark the occasion.
- 1 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 2 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm
- 3 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 4 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 5 Mobile upgrade work may cause TV interference
- 6 MP the “most handsome and kindest member of the government’
- 7 Sex offender caught with 76 of most serious child abuse photos
- 8 ‘Tired and dated’ road can only get better with our 40 new homes, say builders
- 9 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 10 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone