Will these new jobs be for locals?
JUST a whinge regarding 300 new jobs in Chatteris. Let s hope the council put conditions on it that only local full-time residents get the jobs and not agency workers. I ve worked on agency grading potatoes, beetroot, and pasta meals in Wisbech and its an
JUST a whinge regarding 300 new jobs in Chatteris. Let's hope the council put conditions on it that only local full-time residents get the jobs and not agency workers.
I've worked on agency grading potatoes, beetroot, and pasta meals in Wisbech and its an "agency hire-and-fire workforce" that factories want.
One day at work then... they don't need you, two days work then... no work, massive debts then... you have to claim bankruptcy. I've just been through bankruptcy.
Remember the new nursery in the Wisbech area? Lots of potential jobs when planning permission was needed. I applied to work there twice. One week I parked outside every day and watched the agency vans going in and out.
You may also want to watch:
It's a good job they got planning permission isn't it? I've seen the same in Huntingdon. People from as far away as Bedford work in Huntingdon so they can charge the workers transport. If they come from far away no one in the town knows where they are from or even if they are agency workers in the factories.
The PR stunt is let local people apply for jobs and then reject them. No equal opportunities, laws are broken and the agencies get the work.
- 1 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 2 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 3 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 4 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 5 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 6 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 7 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 8 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 9 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 10 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
Who actually works at the packing/cardboard factory at Doddington Road, Chatteris? I applied twice but never got a reply. I only live 200 yards away and look at it out of my bedroom window.
Agency workers from Peterborough mostly work at MBM; I've applied to work there twice.
Maybe companies want to move to Fenland because industrial land is the cheapest around.
M A BURTON