Wimblington North Witchford Lodge sheltered housing scheme given £100,000 funding boost
- Credit: Archant
A sheltered housing scheme in Wimblington is to benefit from a much-needed upgrade thanks to £100,000 of funding from the Government.
Circle Housing Roddons has been awarded the money through the Homes and Communities Agency’s care and support specialised housing fund, which will help to refurbish a number of flats at North Witchford Lodge.
“Over recent years a number of units at the development have become undesirable and therefore hard to let,” said a spokesman for Roddons.
The housing provider will now convert the top floor of the scheme into four self-contained flats. The flats will have new showers, open-plan living, dining and kitchen facilities.
The ground floor at North Witchford Lodge is being converted into a GP surgery, containing consulting rooms, by local contractors Lindum Peterborough.
You may also want to watch:
Sue Stavers, head of housing services for Circle Housing Roddons, said: “We know that living in well-designed specialised housing can be instrumental in improving health and wellbeing, particularly for older people.
“We believe this investment will help to make an enormous difference to our residents’ lives.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
Councillor Will Sutton, Fenland District Council’s cabinet member responsible for housing, said: “Fenland already has a high proportion of elderly people in its population and that is predicted to rise sharply over the next 20 years.
“So schemes like this are becoming increasingly important.”
The Government’s care and support specialised housing fund is designed to help older people and those with disabilities or mental health problems to live more independently.