Wimblington Post Office to be modernised in the new year
- Credit: Archant
Wimblington Post office is set to close for nine days in the new year when it is given a total refurbishment as part of a national modernisation programme.
The work will involve a modern open-plan retail environment, the Post Office staying open for seven days a week, longer opening hours, an end to half-day closing on Tuesday and Saturday and no more lunchtime closing.
The Post Office in Norfolk Street, Wimblington, is being transformed into a new ‘local’ style branch with significantly longer opening hours.
Post Office local is a new concept for delivering Post Office services.
There will be an open plan counter with Post Office products and services available alongside retail transactions during shop opening hours.
You may also want to watch:
The system allows Post Office services to be available for longer offering greater convenience to customers.
Wimblington Post Office will close for refurbishment on Tuesday January 7 at 1pm and will re-open on Thursday January 16 at `1pm.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 9 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
During the refurbishment the nearest alternative offices will be at Doddington and March.
Post Office Regional Network Manager South, Will Russell, said: “We understand how important having a Post Office is to residents in Wimblington and we are confident that this new modern Post Office service will meet the needs of the local community and secure services for the future.
“The modernisation is part of a major investment programme to convert the Post Office network to new-style branches. This investment, the largest in the history of the Post Office, makes a commitment to no more branch closure programmes.”
The new opening hours will be Monday to Friday; 6.30-8; Saturday: 7-8; Sunday: 9-6.
Post Office customers will benefit from opening hours being extended by 52 hours a week, including Sunday.
The extra hours include an end to half-day opening on Tuesday and Saturday, The branch will open earlier and close later every day and there will be no lunchtime closing.
The Post Office, now independent of Royal Mail, is the largest retail network in the UK, with over 11,500 branches. It is also one of the fastest growing financial services companies and is developing its online and telephony services.