Wimblington woman who edits a magazine about sheep, goats and alpaca goes head to head with national magazines in awards contest
- Credit: Archant
A Wimblington woman who edits a specialist magazine about sheep, goats and alpacas has been short listed for an award alongside editors of publications like The Economist and Radio Times.
Parish councillor Liz Wright is going head to head as one of five people chosen in one of the categories of the British Society of Magazine Editors awards.
Also in the list for the editor’s editor of the year category is The Sunday Times Travel Magazine and The Week.
Liz said: “I can’t quite believe it. It’s funny isn’t it. My little magazine that has a print run of about 3,000 against all these big titles.”
She added she particularly recognised one name in the list, Ben Preston of the Radio Times.
You may also want to watch:
“Earlier this year I messaged him to make a light-hearted complaint that all of the Radio Times front covers were male orientated and could he put a more balanced mix with more females an the front.
“He sent a very good reply and since then I notice there has been a more balanced mix of front covers.
- 1 'Amazing team work' at hospital's vaccination clinic
- 2 'Physically and mentally exhausted" Matt in plea to find missing beagle
- 3 Man suffers serious injuries after two-vehicle crash on A47
- 4 Sandbags available ahead as Storm Christoph arrives
- 5 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 6 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 7 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 8 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 9 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 10 Fishing park owners await green light to open third lake
“It made me smile when I saw I’m now in the same awards category as him!”
She was nominated by a colleague who writes for the magazine and then endorsed by two other people she knows.
She said: “It’s very nice to be nominated but I’m under no illusions I might actually win, Mind you, it’s good to be in such illustrious company.”
Liz has been editing the quarterly publication Practical Sheep Goats and Alpacas by Kelsey Media, for about three years.
It can be found in large branches of WH Smith and it has also spotted recently in branches of Roys of Wroxham stores in Norfolk.
The results will be announced at the 2016 BSME awards dinner in November.