Wind power boosts Doddington short mat bowls club
- Credit: Archant
Doddington Short Mat Bowls Club has received a 25th birthday present from its local wind farm community fund.
The club applied to Burnthouse Farm Wind Farm’s Community Fund for a grant to buy new equipment and help keep the club at the top of its game.
The three turbines located between Whittlesey and March began generating safe, clean, renewable electricity earlier this year and operator REG Windpower will donate £24,000 every year to support local good causes.
Grant funding will be provided for projects that primarily benefit people living within a five mile radius of the wind farm.
Doddington Short Mat Bowls Club will use their grant of more than £1,000 to buy new equipment, including a new short mat, an electronic scoreboard, new jacks and carriers and a new trophy cabinet.
You may also want to watch:
Since it was founded in 1988, the club has gone from strength to strength, winning the National Championships in 2010. Members include England and County players at both Under 18s and Senior level.
Robert Elmore, Chairman of the Doddington Short Mat Bowls Club, said: “We are delighted to receive this grant funding from the Burnthouse Community Fund, it will allow us to continue building on our success and help us to attract new members from across the community.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
Burnthouse Wind Farm Community Fund is provided by REG Windpower, and administered by Cambridgeshire Community Foundation. For more information or if you have an idea which you think the Community Fund could support, please visit burnthousefarm.regwindpower.co.uk/ or contact Heather Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org