Name the gritter competition winners from the Fens meet the new Cambridgeshire Highways fleet
- Credit: Supplied/CCC
Young ‘name the gritter’ competition winners from Fenland had the chance to meet the new Cambridgeshire Highways fleet over the weekend.
Hundreds of pupils from schools across the Fens sent in their witty names to the county council who had the tough job or narrowing down winners.
Amongst the winning names are Buzz Ice Year, Sheriff of Grittingham, Grit King, Grunty, Grityanna Jones and the Temple of Salt, Alfred the Gritter and Mr Snow Stopper.
Hollie from Westwood, Bailey and Alfie from Cavalry, Thomas from Guyhirn, Thea from Murrow, Jessica from Westwood and Oliver from Glebelands were all crowned winners.
The group gathered at the March Highways Depot on Saturday, January 25 for a photo opportunity and a chance to climb on board the gritters.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Mathew Shuter, council's chair of the Highways and Infrastructure Committee, said: "The naming competition is part of our yearly engagement with schools on road safety.
"It is a fun, engaging way to familiarise children with the vehicles and their drivers and the fantastic job they do in all weather conditions day or night.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Man found dead in March
- 7 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
"There have been some real witty suggestions from our primary schools and choosing the winners was difficult.
"But we would like to thank all the children and their schools for taking part in the competition and we are looking forward to welcoming the winners at our depots to officially unveil the new names."