Wisbech Castle could be bought by the town council because it is ‘an important part of the historic fabric’
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech castle is so important it should remain in the hands of people in the town to make sure it is preserved for future generations.
In an extraordinary meeting town councillors unanimously decided that they are interested in “acquiring” the Castle.
They have asked current owners Cambridgehsire County Council for an appropriate period of time to develop a business case and to liaise with partners to find a way forward.
They have also asked Cambridgeshire County Council to provide details of the castle’s current operating costs, income, repair and maintenance works, any “legal” limitations or restrictions on its use.
Terry Jordan, town council clerk, said: Wisbech Castle is an important part of the historic fabric and community of Wisbech and should remain so.
You may also want to watch:
“The town council feels strongly that ceasing activity at Wisbech Castle pending its disposal by the County Council would be inappropriate.”
And he added councillors want it to remain “business as usual” at the castle until a decision is made.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 5 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 6 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
Wisbech Town Council held an extraordinary meeting on September 5 to discuss the opportunity for the council play a role in “acquiring”, on behalf of the community, Wisbech Castle.
It came in response to a letter, dated August 23, from Cambridgeshire County Council saying it was considering disposing of Wisbech Castle on the basis that it no longer has an operational use for the building.
Mr Jordan said: “Councillors listened to the comments and views of representatives of a number of local groups and organisations, all of which wish to see Wisbech Castle retained as a community building and expressed their willingness to work with Wisbech Town Council in achieving that end.”
Groups include the Ferry Project, Wisbech Society, Wisbech and District Tourism and Development Group, Wisbech in Bloom, WisARD and the Wisbech Projects CIC.