Wisbech catering students get hands-on experience in professional kitchen
- Credit: Archant
Budding young chefs have been popping out of lessons to work in a school’s canteen.
Thomas Clarkson Academy’s catering and hospitality GCSE students have started doing shifts in the academy’s restaurant, helping to prepare food and serve meals.
There is a rota system in place during lesson times so all students get to work in the restaurant, which serves hundreds of meals each day.
The scheme was the idea of food technology teacher Jayne Thorpe.
She said: “We have some really fantastic young cooks here, who want to go into a career within food and catering, so I thought it would be a real insight into the working world if they had some experience within our own restaurant.
You may also want to watch:
“The restaurant serves hundreds of meals a day during breakfast and lunch sessions and does a huge amount of food preparation each day.
“The students have been helping prepare the meals and it has taught them a huge amount about catering on a large scale. Within the classroom they will prepare a meal for the family, however this scheme gives them the opportunity to see and understand how much work goes into catering for large numbers.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 5 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 9 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
“The students have really enjoyed it and I have seen a real difference in them in terms of how they approach food and their practical classroom work.”
Year 9 student Troy Brazil says he relishes the hands-on experience in the kitchen.
He said: “I love getting involved in the work within the kitchen. I have been taught things by the staff and picked up new skills. I think it is a great idea as it has reinforced my plans to have a career in food.”