Wisbech children are litter pick super stars
- Credit: Archant
Youngsters at a Fenland school have begun monthly litter-picks in a bid to help clean up their town.
Pupils at Peckover Primary School in Wisbech launched the project in partnership with Fenland District Council’s Street Pride team.
Children on the school council came up with the idea of doing litter-picking after becoming increasingly unhappy about the amount of rubbish dropped around the school.
The council’s Street Pride co-ordinator Rebecca Robinett and Street Scene officer Gemma Newell were then invited to give a whole school assembly focusing on litter and what they could do to help.
Rebecca and Gemma then joined the school again as its debut litter-pick was held on Friday, April 28.
You may also want to watch:
Rebecca said: “It’s wonderful to see children taking an interest in their environment and making a big difference to their local community. They should be really proud of their efforts.
“We’d love to see even more schools get involved with Street Pride too. If any are interested they can get in touch and we’d be more than happy to help.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 5 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 6 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 7 Inspirational teen's charity walk raises £500 to support ill children
- 8 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
Year 6 children filled several bags with rubbish collected from pavements, footpaths and hedges around the school and surrounding area, with their hi-vis jackets, gloves, pickers and bags being supplied by the council.
The school will now run the litter-pick project itself, with a different year group taking part each month. The equipment has been loaned to the school for the duration of its project.
For more information contact the Street Pride team on: 01354 654321.