Wisbech couple who met on Coronation Day, after rain stopped cricket match, to celebrate diamond wedding anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A couple who met on Coronation Day while taking shelter from rain will celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary next week.
Derrick and Joan King met when Derrick was playing in a village cricket match, while Joan was helping organise games for children.
Suddenly rain stopped play and everyone ran for shelter into a barn which was being used to serve afternoon tea. It was there that the couple met.
Derrick, 84, was born in a remote cottage at Wingland Marsh, near Sutton Bridge. Joan, 81, née Rogers, was born in Tydd St Giles.
They married on a damp, foggy day at Tydd St Giles Parish Church on November 27, 1954, and made their first home at Tydd Gote. Derrick was a landworker while Joan was a housewife.
You may also want to watch:
Together they have three daughters. The eldest, Susan, lives in Wymondham, their middle daughter, Shirley, lives in Sheffield and Christine is in Blackpool. They also have seven grandchildren and four great grandchildren.
In 1961 the family moved to Wisbech. At one time both Derrick and Joan worked at The Metal Box Company, in Wisbech.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 5 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 6 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
Derrick has not been in the best of health for the past few years and Joan is now his carer but she still finds time to tend their fruit, vegetable and flower garden.
The couple, who live in Elmfield Drive, Wisbech, will celebrate their anniversary by spending time with family, friends and neighbours.
When asked what their secret is to a long and happy marriage, Joan said: “To listen to one another, to be patient and tolerant.”
Derrick said: “Love. To love one another. I’ve always loved my Joan and always will.”