Wisbech dancers help England pick up historic gold at European Championships
- Credit: Archant
YOUNG street dancers from Fenland have helped England win gold in Amsterdam.
Twelve girls from Alison’s Street Dance, of Wisbech, represented their country at last week’s IDO Street Dance European Championships.
They were part of “Clique”, an under-12s team, and “Entity”, an under 16 years team, which triumphed over their European adversaries.
The young performers have qualified to be part of Team England for the World Street Dance Championships in Denmark in October.
Alison McLatchie, who runs the dance school, said: “It was amazing, a brilliant experience for the dancers.
You may also want to watch:
“It is so tough to qualify for the IDO championships because the standard is so high.
“England had never picked up gold in the under-16 category before last week so it was amazing to have students be a part of that historic first time achievement.”
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 9 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
The club teaches different styles from house and break dancing to new school.
Alison said: “We do beginner classes for dancers who just do it for fun and advanced classes for others that want to take a more serious interest.
“We are really trying to raise money for ourselves as we are solely funded, so that our dancers get to go to Denmark to compete in the IDO world championships.
“It would be great to find a sponsor to help these children follow their dream.”
Alison’s Street dance will be running a special Street Dance summer school for people aged from six upwards in Wisbech with outside choreographers for five weeks in the summer.
The classes are £20 or £6 for individual sessions. Numbers are limited.
To find out more call Alison on 07887 925949