Wisbech Grammar School food students enjoy tour of leading lettuce producer G’s
- Credit: Archant
Food students enjoyed a fact finding visit to a leading lettuce producer.
During a visit to G’s plant near Littleport, Year 10 Wisbech Grammar School pupils probed the company’s business operation and toured the fields to investigate the seed sowing, planting of seedlings and harvesting of icebergs.
The business, which supplies supermarkets in the UK, Europe and US, grows lettuces, celery, beetroot, mushrooms and leeks.
After examining the plant, the students went on to Dents Farm Shop at Hilgay for lunch where they relished the role of food critics as they carried out a restaurant review.
Head of food and nutrition Alison Sloan said: “It was interesting to see the seeds for various types of lettuce being sown in the vast greenhouses and then being sown in a field, and finally watching the harvesting and packing of icebergs.
You may also want to watch:
“The mixture of modern technology and manpower working side by side to get the lettuces into the shops within two days was fascinating.”
- 1 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 5 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 6 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 7 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’