Wisbech Grammar School students excel at maths challenge
- Credit: Archant
Pupils at a Fenland school achieved an impressive awards haul in a maths challenge.
Six Wisbech Grammar School students got gold, 20 silver and 25 bronze awards in the Intermediate Maths Challenge.
The best in school prize was shared by Joanna Slipper, 15, and 13 year-old Elliot Young, who both notched up 83 marks out of 125.
The competition, which is staged by the University of Leeds, is open to boys and girls in years 9-11.
Head of mathematics Geoff Howes said: “This is an excellent competition, as it really tests pupils’ ability to think and to solve a wide variety of mathematical problems.
You may also want to watch:
“Last year we had four pupils who left the school after obtaining A grades in A Level mathematics to take this subject or engineering at university, including one student who is now reading maths at Leeds.
“I am sure this competition helped to inspire them.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens