Wisbech grandmother with terminal pancreatic cancer hopes to attend bingo fundraiser for Queen Elizabeth Hospital
- Credit: Archant
A mum who was given weeks to live by doctors when she was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer 18 months ago hopes to attend a charity bingo session arranged in her honour.
The bingo night, which will be held at Walsoken Village Hall on Friday, is in aid of Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) in King’s Lynn, where Wisbech grandmother Gill Coakley has received treatment.
The 66 year-old’s daughter Kym is full of praise for the sterling work of the hospital’s nurses and doctors.
She said: “The nurses at the hospital were absolutely brilliant when mum was having chemotherapy. They were good to the whole family. The doctors weren’t too hopeful in the beginning but mum has survived far longer than they predicted.
“We’re so proud of mum. People with pancreatic cancer are given weeks to live but that was 18 months ago. She is our inspiration,
You may also want to watch:
“We’re hoping to raise up to £1,000 at the bingo session, to go towards cancer care and treatment at the hospital. If mum feels up to it on the night, she’s hoping to be there.”
This is the second event staged by the family to raise money for QEH cancer care and treatment - a fundraising Family Fun Day at Marshland High School, West Walton, last September raised more than £300.
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
The bingo session, which is open to all, takes place at Walsoken Village Hall, 53 Kirkgate Street, PE13 3QX, starting at 7.30pm.