Wisbech is famous for many things - and high on the list is its beer as Elgood’s sweep the board at regional awards
- Credit: Archant
Elgood’s Brewery swept the board at an eastern region beer competition winning seven medals including two golds.
The Wisbech firm stood out at the SIBA East Beer Competition including overall winner for its cherry wheat beer.
Elgood’s Belgian style cherry wheat beer was awarded the gold medal in the speciality beers small pack category and went on to be nominated the overall winner of the bottled beer section of the competition.
Belinda Sutton, Managing Director of Elgood’s Brewery said: “Both our Quintessentially English and Sour range of bottled beers are recent introductions, so to be awarded the Gold and Silver in the speciality beer class is praise indeed.
“It’s great to see that our recent innovations are being recognised and rewarded by the industry and reflect the great response we have had from the general public.”
Its Lambic-style coolship fruit was awarded the Silver medal in the same category placing the brewery first and second in the speciality Beer class.
Its Black Dog mild, was awarded the Bronze medal in both the cask and bottled beer groups,
- 1 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 2 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
- 3 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 4 Heather's Hedgehog Hotel in Chatteris officially opens
- 5 Over 6,000 homes approved across Cambridgeshire this year
- 6 Woman on trial over death of Louis Thorold ‘had undiagnosed Alzheimer’s’
- 7 Woman on trial over death of Louis Thorold ‘had worsening dementia’
- 8 Chatteris Fire brigade respond to nearly 20 calls in two days
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of making threats to kill woman
- 10 Driver escapes injury after lorry ploughs into back of broken-down van
The beers were nominated by forty-five judges and selected from over two-hundred and forty-eight cask ales and bottled beers entered into the competition.
Elgood’s Cherry Wheat Beer, which has been blended with cherry and raspberry, will now go through to the SIBA National Beer Competition in March 2016.