Wisbech Lions Club on the lookout for budding champions to bring conker championship crown back home
IT will soon be conker time again!
Wisbech Lions Club is making preparations for its annual ‘Wisbech & Fenland Conker Championships’. This event has been running for many years and competition for the champion’s title is fierce.
Horse Chestnut trees are being watched to ensure the best possible supply of conkers will be available and location of these trees is a closely guarded secret.
Entrants are expected from far and wide but high hopes remain of ‘locals’ doing well.
Already registered are entrants from March, Peterborough and Hunstanton, all hoping to snatch the title away from our town.
You may also want to watch:
It is here that Wisbech Lions Club needs help.
Have we any budding champions? Do we want the winners to be from out of town? Can we ensure that the Wisbech champion is really from Wisbech?
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
The only qualifications needed are a sense of fun and the ability not to take things too seriously. Conkers are provided, brief training is available if necessary, sausage & mash supper will be given and the beer is good.
Last year’s team champions came from Hunstanton. Before that they came from March. Do not let this happen again.
Please contact me on 01945 464871 to enter and keep this prestigious title where it belongs.