Wisbech Lions Club on the lookout for budding champions to bring conker championship crown back home
IT will soon be conker time again!
Wisbech Lions Club is making preparations for its annual ‘Wisbech & Fenland Conker Championships’. This event has been running for many years and competition for the champion’s title is fierce.
Horse Chestnut trees are being watched to ensure the best possible supply of conkers will be available and location of these trees is a closely guarded secret.
Entrants are expected from far and wide but high hopes remain of ‘locals’ doing well.
Already registered are entrants from March, Peterborough and Hunstanton, all hoping to snatch the title away from our town.
It is here that Wisbech Lions Club needs help.
Have we any budding champions? Do we want the winners to be from out of town? Can we ensure that the Wisbech champion is really from Wisbech?
- 1 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 2 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 3 Chatteris Fire brigade respond to nearly 20 calls in two days
- 4 Woman on trial over death of Louis Thorold ‘had worsening dementia’
- 5 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 6 Over 6,000 homes approved across Cambridgeshire this year
- 7 Heather's Hedgehog Hotel in Chatteris officially opens
- 8 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
- 9 'Why not have two stations?' - Villagers air their views on £37m rail project
- 10 Police officer speaks out after violent assault left bleed on brain
The only qualifications needed are a sense of fun and the ability not to take things too seriously. Conkers are provided, brief training is available if necessary, sausage & mash supper will be given and the beer is good.
Last year’s team champions came from Hunstanton. Before that they came from March. Do not let this happen again.
Please contact me on 01945 464871 to enter and keep this prestigious title where it belongs.