Wisbech mayor fights back against scrapping of Rose Queen from parade
- Credit: Archant
A row has broken out between Wisbech’s Round Table and the town’s mayor following the decision to scrap the Rose Queen from an annual event.
Organisers announced the controversial decision for Wisbech’s Rose Fair Parade this week.
They say it comes as they need to ‘change with the times’ after considering how to update the event for the last few years.
However, this afternoon mayor Steve Tierney tweeted Wisbech Round Table, saying it was a ‘silly decision’.
He said: “RE: The decision to not have a Rose Queen anymore - a very very silly decision indeed. #wisbech #rosefair They say they listened to the public. Who? When?”
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech Round Table replied: “If you have time pop over to my office and I’ll explain it all to you. You saying the people of Wisbech “have silly PC views” isn’t really appropriate.”
The group is instead seeking nominations and entries from young people to become Pride of the Parade and take their place on the float which will lead all others through the town.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 5 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 10 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage