Wisbech pair gearing up for Italian Job adventure in classic Land Rover to raise funds for children’s charity
- Credit: Archant
Forty five years after the classic Michael Caine film was made, a Wisbech sales manager and his cousin are doing their version of The Italian Job.
Martyn Wadsley and Andy Stimpson have signed up for the Italian Job Rally in aid of children’s charity Variety, which helps sick, disabled and disadvantaged children.
The pair will be travelling in a 1969 Land Rover 109 Diesel Hard-top, which is an exact replica of the van which appears in the film.
The pair’s van even includes replicas of the film’s crash helmets, blue overalls and pickaxe handles.
Accompanied by about 50 other vehicles, mainly Minis, Mr Wadsley and Mr Stimpson will set off from London on October 23 and drive to Turin.
You may also want to watch:
During the week long adventure they will weave their way along mountain roads, drive on the Monza circuit and visit the Ferrari Museum.
The pair’s Land Rover, which is worth more than £20,000, has already made an appearance at the Goodwood Revival, turning many heads in the process.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
Mr Wadsley said: “We can’t wait to get out there. It’s going to be an absolutely wonderful experience. My cousin Andy rebuilds classic motorcycles so this really is a dream for him.”
The pair hope to raise a combined £2,500 for Variety. To donate, go to https://www.justgiving.com/martyn-wadsley/