Wisbech pet store to ban sale of rabbits over Easter to stop people impulse buying them as gifts
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech pet store is refusing to sell bunnies until the Easter holiday is over in a bid to make people think before buying rabbits as pets.
The move is being made by Pets at Home who are replacing their rabbits with furry toy counterparts to highlight the number of unwanted rabbits left homeless each year.
Manager Mark Tutton said: “We pride ourselves on putting pets before profit, so we’ve decided not to sell rabbits over the Easter weekend to reduce the number of healthy rabbits left homeless as a result of an impulse purchase.
“Young pet lovers in Wisbech can attend our fun workshops to get an insight into the level of care needed to ensure these types of pets live happy, healthy lives. “They also give parents a fun activity to entertain their children during the holidays.”
My Pet Pals Easter club will be held throughout the holidays where fun activities will educate the next generation of pet owners on how to care for small furry animals - including rabbits - responsibly.
You may also want to watch:
The workshops will help families to make an informed decision about the long term commitment and responsibilities that come with pet ownership.
After completing the workshops, each child will receive a certificate and sticker, and a pet promise card.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 5 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
Rabbits are the third most popular choice of pet for British children with around 1.3 million kept as pets - they can live for up to 12 years.
Pets at Home Wisbech will stop selling rabbits from 9am on Good Friday until close of business on Monday March 28.